Access to medical records

Informal access to your records

To get informal access to your records ask the professional staff involved in your care.
If you think some of the information in your records is inaccurate, by law, you can ask for it to be corrected.

In some circumstances the law says we do not have to show you your information. This is when we consider it harmful to you, or to another person’s physical or mental wellbeing.

Formal access to your records

For formal access to your records you must make a request in writing. Please send your request to:

Access to Records
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust
Unit 1a, Howard Court
14 Tewin Road
Welwyn Garden City

Request access to medical records


Proof of identity

Proof of identity is needed for informal or formal access. We may also ask for other information to process your request. We cannot process your request until we have received proof of identity and any other information requested. Once we have this, a copy of your records will be sent to you within 30 days by Special Delivery.


Charging for access requests

We may charge for repeat requests or where there has been no changes since a previous request. This is allowed by the General Data Protection Regulation 2018. If there is a charge we will tell you.


When consent is needed

Requests from solicitors must be accompanied by a consent form signed by the patient.

If you would like to make a request on behalf of a relative, or for the records of a relative who has died, please ask us for a form. You can do this using the address above.


Data control

The Trust is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office as a Data Controller under the General Data Protection Regulation 2108 and the Data Protection Act 2018. To see details of our registration go to the Information Commissioner's Office website and enter registration number Z2489526.