Carer Rights

What carers should expect

You should expect to be valued and supported in you caring role. Caring for someone covers lots of different things, such as:
• Helping with washing, dressing, and feeding
• Ensuring medication is being taken correctly
• Checking to ensure someone is okay
• Taking someone to regular appointments
• Being a companion when they are anxious or lonely

The Care Act 2014 legally entitles all adult carers to a Carer Assessment. This is regardless of the level of support you are providing someone.

Carer Assessments

Carer Assessments are carried out by the local authority where the person you care for lives. You can have a Carer Assessment even if the person you care for does not get any formal help from their local authority. You do not need permission form the person you care for to request a Carer Assessment. You are entitled to a Carer Assessment in your own right.

The Carer Assessment looks at how caring affects your life. It helps you work out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. It looks at your physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. Your assessment should cover:
• Your caring role and how it affects your life and wellbeing
• Your health – physical, mental and emotional issues
• Your feelings and choices about caring
• How your caring role affects your work, study, training and leisure
• Relationships, social activities and your goals
• Housing
• Planning for emergencies, such as a backup plan

The aim of the assessment is to help you get the support you need. It is best to give
your honest opinion about your caring role, the care you provide and your feelings about being a carer. As a result of an assessment you may be eligible for support from your local authority. They will be able to offer advice and guidance to help you with your caring responsibilities.

You may wish to request a review of your Carer Assessment if your caring responsibilities change.

Find out how to get a Carer Assessment from Hertfordshire County Council 

Caring from a distance

Caring can be more difficult if you do not live with or near to the person you care for, or if it takes you a long time to get to their home. In these situations it is important to plan ahead and consider any potential issues.

Caring from a distance 'top tips' fact sheet


Understanding benefits that you and the person you care for may be entitled to can be a confusing and long process but it is worth checking. Age UK, Citizens Advice or the Money Advice Unit at your local authority can help, and they may also help with completing the application forms on your behalf.

Caring and working

It can be very challenging if you are trying to combine work with caring. The Work and
Families Act 2006 gives carers the right to request flexible working. This can take the form of flexible working arrangements: changing shifts to suit caring commitments; compressed hours (working agreed hours over fewer days or shifts); job shares or working from home.

You can make one request for flexible working per year. Although, the company you work for is legally obliged to consider your application, they do not have to agree with your proposals. If you wish to make more than one request in a year, you can still approach your employer to discuss flexible working arrangements. For more information about caring and working, email Carers UK or visit Carers UK website.