Palliative care is for people with any life limiting illness, with the aim of enhancing and where possible improving quality of life. The Specialist Palliative Care team provide expertise in pain and symptom control management, alongside emotional and spiritual support for both the patient and those they love.
The team works in an integrated way with other community Health Care professionals to manage and co-ordinate an agreed, personalised plan of care. This may include thinking ahead and planning of the future.
The team serves the North Herts, Stevenage and Royston areas on a 9am-5pm basis, 7 days a week.
What does the Specialist Palliative Care Team do?
- See patients who have complex needs either in a a Nurse Led Clinic or at home if housebound
- Undertake a holistic assessment and offer specialist intervention and expertise
- Provide a high level of clinical decision making and offer a management plan to address identified needs
- Offer psychological support to help adjust to living with a life limiting illness
- Promote living well and dying well in the identified preferred place of care
- Work collaboratively with other care givers as necessary to co-ordinate care and respond quickly
- Offer family support and signpost additional help when required
- Provide episodic care so that the right care can be given at the right time, according to needs